– as a woman with a busy household and a man who has never cooked ( other than to poach eggs) a salad as a meal has become a staple in my home. as long as you have the ingredients you need on hand they are easy and fast to assemble and become quite addictive. long before i met my Italian i have loved a Caprese salad, and for me it’s one of the easiest salads to whip up and also can be transformed into other salads with different ingredients in a pinch. check out my go to below:
– i had the pleasure of visiting Cadeaux Bakery on Powell St just west of Main shortly after it first opened to do a bridal photo shoot, we used some of their cakes and treats in the shots. they just happened to be closed the next day and generously let us take any sweets we wanted home with us! that was the end ( for any type of will power) and the beginning of a delicious obsession with quite a few of my forever favorite treats, take a look:
– when i go away on a trip, no matter how long/short i always look for ways to simplify my beauty bag. whether it means taking only travel size skincare or deciding on a style of makeup to stick to, packing light and fitting everything into one bag is priority. it didn’t used to be, don’t get me wrong, before i had Mattias and was a single lady, i didn’t think twice about over packing! when you pack for 3 people now, you tend to simplify and i have found what works for me, so when we were getting organized for Europe i was excited to find out that Charlotte Tilbury had come out with an Instant Look in a Palette perfect to simplify my hectic morning routine.
– it has been an interesting summer for us Vancouverites, one where we rarely see the sun. however! the sun is out this weekend and we are taking full advantage, getting to the beach, or in my case sitting out by the blow up pool with my 3 year old. since having Mattias, i have had a love hate relationship with my post baby body. i developed hypothyroidism in the last month of my pregnancy and since it runs in my family (thanks Dad) it decided to stick around ever since. this has made it next to impossible to loose the last 20 pounds of baby weight, so naturally putting on a bathing suit has been a terrifying prospect every summer since.
– it’s no secret that both Oz and i are big foodies, but did you know we have a passion for eating local? that’s why we are so excited to feature one of our favorite bakeries/coffee shops: Pure Bread Bakery. this little gem can be found at 159 West Hastings st a little down from the corner of Hastings and Cambie streets.
– what makes this locally run establishment different in our eyes is the way they display the plethora of scrumptious goodies they have to offer:
– HOW do you resist taking an entire box ( or two ) home with you?! this staggering visual of delicacies awaits just beyond their front door and as they make almost everything except the bread and pies in house ( those are made at their shop in Whistler and delivered each morning) the place smells AMAZING.
– we have been reviewing more and more green beauty products on the blog and are excited to bring you a review of another all natural brand, Wild Hill Botanicals. This local ( for us) Vancouver Island based brand is big on using only organic and indigenous to B.C ingredients in their products, but what excited us most is that all of their ingredients come from their East Sooke farm! which reduces our carbon foot print every time we buy.
– for a pale, hard to tan girl like myself i am always on the lookout for the newest in face and body bronzers. both Oz and i prepping for our vacations require a fair amount of self tanning/spray tans to get the proper pre-beach glow and it’s fair to say we have mastered the art of self tanning at this point. in our quest for the perfect beach glow we have tried and tested every product that has come on the market and have found 4 of our favorites in the process. each of them doing something different and offering us pale ladies different options, so if your beach glow is needed for just one day or a week, we’ve got the product for you!
– so i have been back from Europe almost a month now and i, like most people notice a change in my skin and hair when i’m away. not always for the best, especially when you’re in the sun and on the beach for a lot of your trip. i find that the varying temperatures and humidity levels along with the type of water ( hard or soft) a country has can effect how my skin behaves and my hair looks tremendously! let’s just say after 6 flights, 2 different countries and a multitude of temperatures my hair is not looking so hot. that’s why i was excited to try this Hair Rejuvenation Routine from Lisap.
– i have long been obsessed with rice bowls, i think it was my first Cactus Club experience with their Thai Chicken Rice Bowl that set it off. it’s still on their menu and is a go to of mine even now. this rice bowl recipe was inspired by one i found on Pinterest and is vegan but you could easily add chicken, salmon, shrimp or prawns for the meat eaters ( myself included). it also makes a fantastic party option if you’re attending any get togethers or back yard BBQ’s this long weekend. especially so because it is meant to sit at room temperature, and actually tastes better that way, left overs are fantastic too and doesn’t it just look spectacular? it will easily impress and you will forever have people asking for the recipe.
– well it finally feels like summer here in Vancouver, and that means sunny days at the beach! my essentials have changed now that I’m 33, gone are the days where i would soak up the sun everyday to get a great tan. i was never really good at it anyways, i get bored very easily unless i have a good book and rotating snacks. plus i don’t like being over heated, some people love that feeling, i am not one of them so that means i need a hat and a good hydration spray! i picked this hat up online at Privilege Clothing, it’s from their collaboration with Jillian Harris, #JHforPriv. i thought it would be a good addition to my summer hat collection but its a tad wider than i’d like for everyday wear but perfect for the beach! a great back pack is a must too since i need a bit more supplies when heading to the sand, and when you’re lugging along a 3 year old a comfortable pair of sandals is essential. i picked the back pack up from Zara ( for a steal!) and the sandals from a boutique in Sechelt but you can check out a similar style here.